MAY 9 – June 21, 2020
We are excited to announce our eleventh annual national juried art show, Wide Open 11 opening May 9, 2020. This year we are privileged and delighted to have returning to BWAC as a juror one of New York’s very knowledgeable curators, Paulina Pobocha, of MoMA. With her guidance and selections, we look forward to another spectacular show.
Ours is a truly unique and generous space – a beautiful stone Civil War‐era warehouse overlooking New York Harbor from the piers of Red Hook, in Brooklyn NY. We welcome the opportunity to exhibit unusually large work, and look forward to exhibiting artwork from all around the country, work in all sizes, and subjects, and media. Virtually every medium is accepted including: Oil, Acrylic, Pastel, Watercolor, Photography, Drawing, Print, Mixed Media, Sculpture, Assemblage, Installation*, and Fabric.
Call to Artists for Submissions:
Eligibility: This call for submission is open to all residents of the U.S. and its Territories 18 years of age or older. This is a juried exhibition for artists working in all traditional and non‐traditional 2D and 3D media, *including film/video only when part of an Installation. Works may be submitted in one or multiple media. All artwork must be original in concept, design and execution. Limited edition prints/photographs are accepted. Artwork not meeting the criteria, although juried, may be rejected. Note: Kit work or reproductions of original works in other media (such as giclee prints of oil paintings), unless used as part of a mixed media work, will not be considered.
Submission Deadline: Early Bird: February 4, 2020; Final Application Deadline: March 2, 2020.
Gallery Exhibition Dates: Saturday May 9 – Sunday June 21, 2020; weekends 1‐ 6P.M.
Opening Reception: Saturday May 9, 2020 from 1 ‐ 6 P.M.
The broad theme of Wide Open 11 encompasses all the possibilities of knowledge and freedom and love ‐ wide open spaces…arms wide open…eyes wide open ‐ but as with all things, there is the inevitable opposite ‐ wide open to attack…corruption…failure. What kind of fantasy is this? What does it really indicate? This juried show looks to explore the idea of “wide open” in all the hidden niches of our collective psyche.
About the Juror:
Paulina Pobocha is an Associate Curator in the Department of Painting and Sculpture at The Museum of Modern Art, New York. She has written on and organized numerous exhibitions of modern and contemporary art, with a focus on art made after 1970. Prior to joining the curatorial staff of MoMA, Paulina was a Joan Tisch Fellow at the Whitney Museum of American Art, NY where she lectured on a broad range of subjects in contemporary and modern art. She was appointed critic at the Yale University School of Art in 2011.
As well as looking for skill in the use of a variety of materials, Ms. Pobocha will be looking for how well that medium relates to the concept or movement, and how fully the artist’s intention or concept is presented and realized. Her awards will reflect that artistic judgment.
Judging: All jurying to enter this competition will be on‐line. Judging for prizes is done on-site. All decisions are final.
$2100 in Cash Awards:
BEST of SHOW GOLD: $1000 awarded at the Opening Reception to the artist whose work is juried as ‘Best of Show’.
BEST of SHOW SILVER: $500 awarded at the Opening Reception to the artist whose work is juried ‘Best of Show Silver’.
CERTIFICATES of RECOGNITION: $500 total: $100 for each of fivewinners, awarded at the Opening Reception.
All above selections will be made by our juror, Paulina Pobocha.
PEOPLES’ CHOICE: $100 awarded to the artist whose work is voted ‘Best’ by attendees during the course of the entire show.
All entry fees are non‐refundable. All entries must be registered/received by midnight, March 2, 2020.
Early Bird: (through midnight, February 4, 2020): $45 for up to three (3) images plus $6.00 for each additional.
Submissions February 5 through midnight March 2, 2020: $65 for up to three (3) images plus $6.00 for each additional.
Sculpture and Installations: artists may use two (2) additional images for details, at no extra charge. If needed, contact email@example.com.
Directions For Online Submission:
1. Click on the Sign Up Now! link.
Follow the directions on the Site Login Page to create a new profile. You will need to create a new profile, unless you applied to BWAC’s juried shows or to another competition that licensed the Smarter Entry system after August 27, 2012 (you then can just login). Your username is your email address.
2. Click on Wide Open 11 to register. (It’s under the heading AVAILABLE SHOWS). You will be taken to a secure site where you can pay your application fee.
3. Once you have paid your application fee, you can upload your images. Submit your images as JPG, TIFF, or PNG files with the longest side being 1,280 pixels for best presentation. Your files can be up to 4MB.
Click on the Choose File button to browse for the file you want to upload. The actual file name is the image file title you see in a directory / folder. File names cannot have special characters as they present security risks or are not compatible with programming. When you browse your folder to select your file and then it inserts into the Smarter Entry system, you may see something like this: c:\my_harddrive%5\filename.jpg. The c:\my_harddrive%5\ is the computer’s path to the file. It can/will have special characters, and that is ok. It is only the filename.jpg part that cannot have special characters.
4. Upload your image as directed. Please note that all fields marked with an asterisk are required. Also: Please use the ‘Additional Notes’ box for medium/materials used. The juror considers it with the image and it is used on wall labels. Selling price and year created will not be a factor in the juror’s selection.
5. Click Add Image to upload it to the show. While the image is uploading, do not press the back button or otherwise interfere with the upload process. When the image appears below, it has been submitted to the competition. You will receive no additional confirmation of receipt. You may have to scroll down to see all images.
6. Repeat this process for all your images. You can click “Return to Account” on the left hand bar at any time, then return later to submit more images. You can delete and resubmit a new image at no additional cost. You can edit the information submitted up to the deadline. Please write down and keep for your files the sizes and prices of the submitted work. Once the final deadline has passed, you will no longer have access to this information.
The juror’s results will be e‐mailed by Monday March 16, 2020. If you have not received notification by March 20, please notify mailto: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To exhibit, a return Confirmation Form is required by Friday March 27, 2020. Look for the Confirmation link in your Acceptance Letter.
Requirements For Accepted Work:
1. Maximum assigned space: 14’ w X 8’ h X 8’ d; Ceilings are 10.5 ft high; packages must fit through a 72” X 55” wide door.
2. Where appropriate and at the discretion of BWAC, all work must be suitably framed to a professional standard. No clip frames, saw‐tooth hangers or taped edges. Heavy work must provide French Cleats. Work must be wired and ready for hanging. All framed conventional work must use Plexiglas, except hand‐delivered work less than 24” x 30”. Canvases may have neat gallery wrapped edges.
3. Any work requiring special installation must be installed by artist or agent or, if agreed to beforehand by BWAC, may be subject to additional charges. Any that BWAC may agree to work on will be invoiced at $90/per hour minimum.
4. Sculptors may provide their own pedestals, or must agree to use those provided by BWAC.
5. A label must be affixed to the back of the work that indicates which end is the top and includes the following: Artist Name, Title, Medium, Dimensions, and Price. This information must correspond with the Accepted image as listed on Acceptance letter. No artwork may be substituted.
6. All artwork must be priced for sale. Any work marked POR (Price on Request) or NFS (Not For Sale) will not be eligible for entry into the exhibition. Buyers may take purchased pieces with them after 4 PM Saturday May 9th and between 1- 6 PM on all other days of the show.
7. Oversize Work (exceeding 72 X72), Overweight work (exceeding 30lbs), Assemblages and Installations are welcome at the discretion of BWAC staff, and must meet all other specifications and be delivered, installed and removed by the artist or their agent upon prior arrangement with BWAC.
Delivery Of Accepted Work:
1. Hand Deliveries: Work can be hand delivered to BWAC at 481 Van Brunt Street, Door 7A (canal side), Brooklyn and unpacked by artist or artist’s agent on Friday April 24, Saturday April 25, Sunday, April 26, 12:00 P.M. – 5:00 P.M. BWAC staff installs the work.
2. Shipped Work: UPS is our preferred carrier. NO USPS PARCEL POST WILL BE ACCEPTED. All Truck Deliveries must be delivered INSIDE THE DOORWAY. BWAC WILL NOT ACCEPT CURBSIDE CRATES. All truck deliveries must be ordered to arrive at BWAC Gallery, 481 Van Brunt Street, Door 7A, Brooklyn, NY 11231 from Tuesday, April 21 through Friday, April 24th. The handling fee for shipped works is $45 per package for the first 30 lbs. plus $1 per pound additional.
The artist assumes all responsibility for insuring artwork against shipping damage or loss.
3. Late Arrival and Returns: BWAC reserves the right to reject and return work that is late, is deemed unstable upon arrival, is not properly presented, or differs from the submitted digital image. Returns will be solely at the artist’s expense.
Sales and Commission:
BWAC will retain a 30% commission on all exhibition sales. The price represented on the artist entry form will be the sale price. No changes will be allowed. Sold works will remain until the end of the exhibition unless the Buyer is present to remove the work during the course of the show (any time after 4PM on Opening Day). Artists will be notified of sales; if Buyer cannot remove the purchase, arrangements for shipping of works to Buyer will be the sole responsibility of the artist.
Hand‐delivered artwork may be removed by the artist or artist’s agent on Saturday, June 27, or Sunday, June 28, 12:00 P.M. to 5:00 P.M. Shipped work will be return-shipped within 2 weeks of closing. Any work not removed during this specified time is subject to a storage charge of $50/per week or part thereof, and will be disposed of at BWAC’s discretion if not removed within six months.
BWAC will notify artists of any damage or breakage noticed when unpacking. BWAC is not responsible for any damage, breakage, replacement or cost associated with any damage or breakage occurring during transport. Every precaution is taken in handling entries, but BWAC assumes no liability for any loss or damage to any artist’s work while in our care, custody or control, before, during or after the exhibition. Artists should provide their own insurance.
Use of Images:
Any image submitted may be used for marketing and promotional purposes directly related to this show. This use may include publication in any publications, printed materials, advertisements, or electronic media. Copyright and all other rights remain that of the artist, and attribution will be honored in BWAC materials.
Contact/Questions: Please direct all questions prior to receiving your Notification to mailto:email@example.com. If accepted, your Acceptance Letter will direct you to contact BWAC’s Curator(s) for further information.
Entry Agreement: With the submission of artwork into the WIDE OPEN 11 BWAC Show, the artist agrees to all the terms and conditions set forth in this Prospectus.