NATIONAL JURIED ART SHOW NYC SEPT 21-OCT 27, 2019
The Brooklyn Waterfront Artists Coalition makes this open Call for Submissions to artists all over the USA for an exhibit in our gallery – an 8000 sf Civil War-era warehouse on the Red Hook waterfront. The spacious gallery affords us a unique opportunity to exhibit large work. With its trendy restaurants, bars, boutiques and billion dollar view of the Statue of Liberty and New York Harbor, it’s an exciting place to visit and EXHIBIT. We are privileged to have Jocelyn Miller, Assistant Curator at MoMA PS1 as our juror. With her guidance and selections, we can expect BWAC’s curators for COLOR, Janice Jacob and Alicia Degener, to mount an exceptionally exciting exhibition!
Call to Artists for Submissions:
Early Bird Discounted Deadline: Midnight PST, Sunday July 14, 2019
Final Submission Deadline: Midnight PST, Sunday July 28, 2019
Gallery Exhibition Dates: Sept 21 – Oct 27, 2019 weekends 1-6PM
Opening Reception: Saturday, Sept 21, 2019 from 1-6PM
About The Juror:
Jocelyn Miller, Assistant Curator at MoMA PS1, has been a member of MoMA PS1’s curatorial team since 2011 and has organized such exhibitions as Projects 106: Martine Syms at The Museum of Modern Art (2017) and Maria Lassnig: New York Films 1970-1980, Body Armor (both 2018); Past Skin (2017); and Meriem Bennani: FLY (2016) at MoMA PS1. She has co-organized solo exhibitions with Reza Abdoh, Naeem Mohaiemen, Ian Cheng, Mark Leckey, Cao Fei and Simon Denny, as well as career retrospectives of the artists Maria Lassnig and James Lee Byars, the latter both at MoMA PS1 and Museo Jumex, Mexico City. She also serves as Editorial Manager for MoMA PS1’s curatorial department, overseeing museum publications, and served as Editor for the 2015 Greater New York: Readers series. She received her BA in Comparative Literature at Princeton University.
$2000 in Cash Awards:
BEST of SHOW GOLD: $800 cash prize given to one winner selected by Jocelyn Miller
BEST of SHOW SILVER: $500 cash prize given to one winner selected by Jocelyn Miller
CERTIFICATES of RECOGNITION: $500 $100 each for 5 winners selected by Jocelyn Miller
PEOPLES’ CHOICE: $200: The artist whose work is voted ‘Best’ by the most attendees during the course of the show will receive a $200 cash prize after the closing Oct 27th.
Judging: All judging to enter this competition will be on-line. Judging for prizes is done on-site. All decisions are final.
COLOR: “I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don’t notice it.” ― Alice Walker, The Color Purple
“Mere color, unspoiled by meaning, and unallied with definite form, can speak to the soul in a thousand different ways.” – Oscar Wilde
“There is no blue without yellow and without orange.” – Vincent Van Gogh
This call for submission is open to all residents of the U.S.A. 18 years of age or older. This is a juried exhibition for artists working in all traditional and non-traditional 2D and 3D media, including film/video ONLY when part of an installation. Works may be submitted in one or multiple media. All artwork must be original in concept, design and execution. Limited edition prints are accepted. Artwork not meeting this criteria may, although juried, be rejected. Note: Crafts, kit work or reproductions of original works in other media (such as giclee print of oil paintings), unless used as part of a mixed media work, will not be considered.
Oversize Work, Assemblages and Installations are welcome at the discretion of BWAC, but must meet all other specifications and be delivered, installed and removed by the artist (or their agent) upon arrangement with BWAC staff. All work requiring electricity must auto on/off with the line power.
SUBMISSIONS AND FEES:
Only original works may be submitted.
The Early Bird discounted fee is $45 if received by midnight PST, July 14, 2019. The regular fee is $65. The fee is for up to three (3) images, plus $5 for each additional image. Sculpture and installations: artists may use two additional images for details, at no extra charge. Contact email@example.com if you need them. You must have already applied before you can request extra images.
All entries must be registered/received by midnight PST, July 28, 2019. All entry fees are non-refundable.
DIRECTIONS FOR ONLINE SUBMISSION:
Click on the Sign Up Now! link.
Follow the directions on the Site Login Page to create a new profile. You will need to create a new profile, unless you applied to BWAC’s juried shows or to another competition that licensed the Smarter Entry system after August 27, 2012 – you then can just login). Your username is your email address
Click on COLOR to register. (It’s under the heading: AVAILABLE SHOWS). You will be taken to a secure site where you can pay your application fee.
Once you have paid your application fee, you can upload your images. Submit your images as JPG, TIF, or PNG files not greater than 4MB. The longest side should be 1,280 pixels or greater for best presentation.
Click on the Choose File button to browse for the file you want to upload. The actual file name is the image file title you see in a directory / folder. File names cannot have special characters as they present security risks or are not compatible with programming. When you browse your folder to select your file and then it inserts into the SmarterEntry system, you may see something like this: c:my_harddrive%5filename.jpg. The c:my_harddrive%5 is the computer’s path to the file. It can/will have special characters, and that is ok. It is only the filename.jpg part that cannot have special characters.
Upload your image as directed. Please note that all fields marked with an asterisk are required. Selling price and year created will not be a factor in the juror’s selection. Enter the medium and materials used in the Additional Notes box, and other information you would like the juror to consider. These notes may be used as part of the exhibition.
Click Add Image to upload it to the show. While the image is uploading do not press the back button or otherwise interfere with the upload process. When the image appears below, it has been submitted to the competition. You may have to scroll down to see all images.
Repeat this process for all your images. You can click Return to Account on the left hand bar at any time, then return later to submit more images. You can delete and resubmit a new image at no additional cost. You can edit the information submitted up to the deadline. PLEASE write down and save for your files the titles, sizes and prices of your submissions. After the deadline you will not have access to the information.
Notification of Acceptance of work will be made via e-mail by Monday, Aug 19, 2019. A returnable Confirmation Form will be required by Aug 31, 2019 to hold a spot in the exhibition.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ACCEPTED WORK:
1. Maximum Size: 14’w x 9’h x 8’d (but packages must fit through a 76” X 58” wide door). OVERSIZE CRATES (BY UPS STANDARDS) MUST BE DELIVERED INSIDE GALLERY AND UNPACKED BY ARTIST OR AGENT, as approved by BWAC.
2. Where appropriate and at the discretion of BWAC, all work must be suitably framed to a professional standard. Work must be wired and ready for hanging. No clip frames, saw-tooth hangers or taped edges. All framed conventional work must use Plexiglas, except hand-delivered work less than 24” x 30”. Canvases may have neat gallery wrapped edges.
3. Heavy work must provide French Cleats. No ceiling mounts or special installation requirements unless agreed to beforehand by BWAC. When approved by the artist, any special handling may be invoiced by BWAC at $90/hr min. or as quoted in writing beforehand.
4. Sculptors may provide their own pedestals, or must agree to use those provided by BWAC.
5. Artwork should be marked on the back with Name, Title, Medium, Dimensions, and Price. This information must correspond with the Accepted image as listed on Notification form. No artwork may be substituted.
6. All artwork must be priced for sale. Any work marked POR (Price on Request) or NFS (Not For Sale) will not be eligible for entry into the exhibition.
7. Work cannot be withdrawn before the end of the exhibit, except for sales, which can be removed after 4PM on Sept 21st.
DELIVERY OF ACCEPTED WORK:
1. Hand delivered work should be delivered to BWAC GALLERY at 481 Van Brunt Street, Door 7, Brooklyn and unpacked by artist or artist’s agent on Thursday Sept 5, 4-8 PM, or Saturday, Sept 7; Sunday, Sept 8; between 12 – 5:00 PM. No UPS or FedEx delivery drop-offs will be accepted as hand delivery. BWAC staff installs all work, except that oversize, overweight, large sculptures and/or artwork requiring on-site assembly are to be delivered and installed by appointment with BWAC staff.
2. All shipped work should be ORDERED to be delivered (UPS and FedEx are preferred – NO USPS will be accepted) to BWAC at 481 Van Brunt Street, Door 7, Brooklyn, NY 11231 between Monday, Sept 9 – Thursday, Sept 12. The handling fee for shipped works is $40 per package for the first 30 lbs, plus $1 per additional pound, by check payable to “BWAC”. The artist assumes all responsibility for insuring artwork against shipping damage or loss. BWAC staff installs all shipped work, except that artists shipping oversize, overweight, large sculptures and/or artwork requiring on-site assembly, must consult with BWAC staff before shipping.
LATE ARRIVAL AND RETURNS: BWAC reserves the right to reject and return work that is late, is deemed unstable upon arrival, is not properly presented, or differs from the submitted digital image. Returns will be solely at the artist’s expense.
SALES, COMMISSIONS AND DELIVERY: BWAC will retain a 30% commission on all exhibition sales. The price represented on the artist entry form will be the sale price. No changes will be allowed. Sold works will remain until the end of the exhibition, unless the buyer arranges to remove the work (after 4PM Opening Day). All shipping of works to buyers will be the sole responsibility of the artist, however BWAC will work with the artist to facilitate such sales.
REMOVAL: Hand-delivered artwork must be removed Sat Nov 2, or Sat Nov 9, or by appointment with BWAC staff. Any work not removed during this specified time may be subject to a storage fee or be disposed of at BWAC’s discretion if not removed within 6 months. Shipped work will be packed by BWAC staff and readied for pick up by shippers within 2 weeks of Oct 27 closing.
LIABILITY: BWAC is not responsible for any damage or breakage that may have occurred during transport. Every precaution will be taken in handling the entries, but BWAC assumes no liability for any loss or damage to any artist’s work while in our care, custody or control, before, during or after the exhibition. Each artist, if they wish, needs to provide their own insurance.
USE OF IMAGES: Any image submitted may be used for marketing and promotional purposes directly related to this show. This use may include publication in any publications, printed materials, advertisements, or electronic media. Copyright and all other rights remain that of the artist.
CONTACT/QUESTIONS: Please direct all questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. If accepted your Acceptance Letter will direct you to the BWAC Curator(s) handling the installation of the show.
ENTRY AGREEMENT: With the submission of artwork into the “COLOR” Art Show, the artist agrees to all the terms and conditions set forth in this Prospectus.