MAY 9 – June 21, 2020
The Brooklyn Waterfront Artists Coalition is pleased to announce Transparent as Glass?, our first exhibition and sale dedicated specifically to glass artists in our 41-year history. This unique comprehensive survey will be mounted in our massive stone Civil War‐era warehouse on the Red Hook waterfront in Brooklyn, NY. This is an Open call to all Glass Artists of all glass techniques – blown glass, kiln working, glass casting, flame, neon, stained glass, glass painting and glass etching.
We are greatly honored to have as our juror Michael Endo, Curator for Bullseye Projects (Bullseye Glass Company), and Renee Radenberg as BWAC’s Curator of the space.
Call to Artists for Submissions
Submission Deadline: Early Bird February 4 or Final Application Deadline March 2, 2020.
Gallery Exhibition Dates: Saturday, May 9 – Sunday, June 21, 2020 weekends 1‐6 P.M.
Opening Reception: Saturday, May 16, 2020 from 1‐6 P.M.
About the Juror
Michael Endo is an artist and curator originally from Portland, Oregon. He earned an MFA in painting from Cranbrook Academy of Art, Michigan, in 2009 after a BA from Portland State University, Oregon, in 2005. His studio work has been included in national and international exhibitions at venues such as The National Glass Centre (Sunderland, UK), Disjecta (Portland, Oregon), Yuan Yuan Art Center (Jinan, China), and Bullseye Projects (Portland, Oregon and Mamaroneck, New York). Michael is currently the curator at Bullseye Projects, organizing exhibitions in Portland, Oregon; Emeryville, California; Mamaroneck, New York; and Latheronwheel, Scotland. He also co-founded Dust to Dust, a curatorial project that started in 2018 with artist Emily Endo. In 2019, Endo moved to Yucca Valley, California where he is the co-director of High Desert Observatory and partner in the Yucca Valley Material Lab, a studio and residency founded by artist Heidi Schwegler.
Juroring: All juroring for will be on‐line. Entries that differ significantly from their digital images may be rejected. Decision of the juror is final.
Transparent as Glass? Art Show: Glass has been created and used by mankind from the ancient Egyptians. It is only recently, since mid 20th century, that glass has been acknowledged as an art form. It has wonderful physical properties – transparent or opaque – allowing one to see the illusion of space and depth, the constant play of positive and negative spaces. This causes a magical flow within the art, embodying fun, playfulness, and the spiritual energy of nature.
BWAC is seeking original artwork from glass artists working all glass techniques – blown glass, kiln working, casting, flame, neon, stained glass, glass painting and glass etching. The theme is to reflect glass as an art which results in 2‐Dimensional or 3‐Dimensional work.
ELIGIBILITY: This call for submission is open to all residents of the U.S. and its Territories 18 years of age or older and international glass artists. All artwork must be original in concept, design and execution.
Submission and Fees: Only original works may be submitted.
Early Bird Discount: (through midnight, February 4, 2020): $45 for up to three (3) images + $5.00/ea additional image.
Submissions between February 5 and midnight March 2, 2020: $65 for up to three (3) images + $5.00/ea additional image.
3-D Sculpture and installations: artists may use two (2) additional images for details, at no extra charge. Contact email@example.com if you need them.
All entries must be registered/received by midnight, March 2, 2020. All entry fees are non‐refundable.
DIRECTIONS FOR ONLINE SUBMISSION:
1. Click on the Sign Up Now! link.
Follow the directions on the Site Login Page to create a new profile. You will need to create a new profile, unless you applied to BWAC’s juried shows or to another competition that licensed the Smarter Entry system after August 27, 2012 ‐ you then can just login). Your username is your email address.
2. Click on Transparent as Glass to register. (It’s under the heading AVAILABLE SHOWS). You will be taken to a secure site where you can pay your application fee.
3. Once you have paid your application fee, you can upload your images. Submit your images as JPG, TIFF, or PNG files with the longest side being 1,280 pixels for best presentation. Your files can be up to 4MB.
Click on the Choose File button to browse for the file you want to upload. The actual file name is the image file title you see in a directory / folder. File names cannot have special characters as they present security risks or are not compatible with programming. When you browse your folder to select your file and then it inserts into the SmarterEntry system, you may see something like this: c:\my_harddrive%5\filename.jpg. The c:\my_harddrive%5\ is the computer’s path to the file. It can/will have special characters, and that is ok. It is only the filename.jpg part that cannot have special characters.
4. Upload your image as directed. Please note that all fields marked with an asterisk are required. Selling price and year created will not be a factor in the juror’s selection. Use the Additional Notes box for information you would like the juror to consider, if it’s not obvious. These notes may be used as part of the exhibition.
5. Click Add Image to upload it to the show. While the image is uploading do not press the back button or otherwise interfere with the upload process. When the image appears below, it has been submitted to the competition. You will receive no additional confirmation of receipt. You may have to scroll down to see all images.
Repeat this process for all your images. You can click “Return to Account” on the left hand bar at any time, then return later to submit more images. You can delete and resubmit a new image at no additional cost. You can edit the information submitted up to the deadline. Please write down and keep for your files the sizes and prices of the submitted work. Once the final deadline has passed, you will no longer have access to this information.
Notification: The juror’s results will be emailed by Monday, March 16, 2020. If you have not received notification by March 20th please notify firstname.lastname@example.org . A return confirmation of participation is required by Friday, March 27, 2020 to hold a spot in the exhibition.
Requirements for Accepted Work:
1. Maximum Size: packages must fit through a 72” X 56” wide door. Oversize Work, Assemblages and Installations exceeding 72 X72, and Overweight work exceeding 30lbs, are welcome only at the discretion of BWAC staff, but must be delivered, installed and removed by the artist (or their agent) upon prior arrangement with BWAC. Any work not meeting these eligibility requirements can automatically be disqualified regardless of juror selection.
2. Where appropriate and at the discretion of BWAC, all conventional being installed by BWAC work must be appropriately prepared for display to a professional standard.
3. Any work requiring ceiling mounts, D Rings, cleats or special installation requirements must be installed by artist or agent, or if agreed to beforehand by BWAC may be subject to additional charges. Any work that BWAC may agree to do will be invoiced at $90/per hour or as quoted by BWAC.
4. Sculptors may provide their own pedestals, or must agree to use those provided by BWAC.
5. A label must be affixed to the back of the work that indicates which end is the top and includes the following: Artist Name, Title, Medium, Dimensions, and Price. This information must correspond with the Accepted image as listed on Acceptance Letter. No artwork may be substituted.
6. All artwork must be priced for sale. Any work marked POR (Price on Request) or NFS (Not For Sale) will not be eligible for entry into the exhibition.
7. Work cannot be withdrawn before the end of the exhibit. Purchased work can be removed by the buyer after 4 PM on Opening Day and from 1-6PM on all other days of the show.
Delivery Of Accepted Work:
1. Hand Delivery: Work can be hand delivered to BWAC at 481 Van Brunt Street, Door 7A, Brooklyn, NY and unpacked by artist or artist’s agent on Friday 4/24, Saturday 4/25, Sunday, April 26 from 12:00 P.M. to 5:00 P.M.
2. Shipped Work: All truck deliveries should be ordered (UPS is our preferred carrier) to be made INSIDE the doorway, and to arrive at BWAC gallery address 481 Van Brunt Street, Door 7A, Brooklyn, NY 11231 from Tuesday, April 21 through Friday, April 24. BWAC CANNOT ACCEPT CURBSIDE DELIVERY. The handling fee for shipped works is $45 per package for the first 30 lbs. plus $1 per pound additional. The artist assumes all responsibility for insuring artwork against shipping damage or loss. For packages weighing more than 30lbs., contact BWAC for confirmation of acceptance before shipping.
Late Arrival And Returns: BWAC reserves the right to reject and return work that is late, is deemed unstable upon arrival, is not properly presented, or differs from the submitted digital image. Returns will be solely at the artist’s expense.
Sales, Commissions and Delivery: BWAC will retain a 30% commission on all exhibition sales. The price represented on the artist entry form will be the sale price. No changes will be allowed. Sold works will remain until the end of the exhibition unless the Buyer is present to remove the work during the course of the show ((after 4PM on Opening Day). Artists will be notified of sales. If buyers cannot remove their purchases for any reason, arrangements for shipping of works to buyers will be the sole responsibility of the artist.
Removal: Hand‐delivered artwork must be removed by the artist, or artist’s agent on Thursday, June 25 from 4:00 P.M. to 8:00 P.M., Saturday, June 27, or Sunday, June 28, 12:00 P.M. to 5:00 P.M. Any work not removed during this specified time is subject to a storage charge of $50/per week or part thereof, and will be disposed of at BWAC’s discretion if not removed within six months.
Liability: BWAC will notify artist of any damage that may have occurred during transport. Every precaution will be taken in handling the entries, but BWAC assumes no liability for any loss or damage to any artist’s work while in our care, custody or control, before, during or after the exhibition. Each artist, if they wish, needs to provide their own insurance.
Use Of Images: Any image submitted may be used for marketing and promotional purposes directly related to this show. This use may include publication in any publications, printed materials, advertisements, or electronic media. Copyright and all other rights remain that of the artist.
Contact/Questions: Please direct questions prior to receiving a Notification Letter to email@example.com. If accepted, your Acceptance Letter will direct you to contact BWAC’s Curator for further information.
Entry Agreement: With the submission of artwork into the Transparent as Glass? BWAC Show, the artist agrees to all the terms and conditions set forth in this prospectus.